Top tips for getting your body bikini ready.
After Carrie Bradshaw toddled on to our TV screens in her ankle crippling Manolos, it wasn’t long before the fashion forward New Yorker introduced us to ‘the Brazilian’. Now popular with women across the world, we’re all keen to keep our bikini lines ‘fuzz free’.
But let’s face it, getting your body bikini ready without catastrophe isn’t always a piece of cake. (Yes ladies. It is possible to glue yourself to your knickers with a home waxing kit.) So if you want yours to look more ‘smooth and sexy’ than ‘recently returned from war’, check out our top tips.
- Regardless of whether you choose to shave, epilate or wax, exfoliation should be a vital part of your daily routine. Hair removal increases the likelihood of ingrown hairs, so unless you want spotty bits, we suggest you invest in an exfoliation mitt.
- When you’ve bought your glove, use it to rub the hair free skin in gentle circular motions. It helps to remove all the dead skin cells and encourage hair growth in the right direction. (Not that you want the pesky fluff back.)
- If you’ve got sensitive skin, it’s best to avoid shaving completely. Though it might sound painful, the Braun Silk-épil epilator
is great way to keep smooth without the risk of skin damage or infections. Grasping hairs as short as 0.5 mm, epilation will keep your bikini area silky smooth for up to four weeks.
- To minimise discomfort, avoid defuzzing just before your period as you’ll be at your most sensitive. If you’re really feeling less brave than the cowardly lion, it might be a good idea to pop a pain killer half an hour before you epilate.
The Silk-épil 7 epilator
can also be used in water, so you can further minimise any pain by removing hair in the bath.
- If you’d rather shape your bikini hair than remove it all, consider trying the Silk-épil bikini styler
. Whether you’re into hearts, stars or a simple landing strip, this gives you the chance to choose your own style.
- For those that prefer to shave, make sure you change blades regularly and always shave in the direction of the hair growth, it’ll reduce the unsightly red dots.
- To avoid any unfortunate accidents, opt for a clear shaving gel and always take your time. Nobody wants to spend Saturday night explaining to their boyfriend where those ‘funny cuts’ came from, or worse, end up in A&E.
Author: Lizzie Cernik